Newcastle coach Adam O’Brien has dismissed suggestions the Knights have withdrawn their contract offer to star fullback Kalyn Ponga.
The Knights are priced at 100/1 to win the NRL grand final this season but suffered a setback when going down 21-16 to the Dragons on Easter Sunday.
During the game on Sunday a story broke suggesting that the contract on offer to Ponga had been taken off the table. O’Brien was asked about the story after the game but told reporters it was news to him.
The Knights coach put it down to speculation and said he was just delighted to see Ponga giving his all for the club while out on the pitch.
“When I had breakfast this morning we were signing [Cameron] Munster. I can’t keep up with you guys,” O’Brien told reporters. "It has never been brought up to me once as the head coach.
"Our CEO [Phil Gardner] isn't even in the country, he's in Hawaii. I think they're still going through their process – both Kalyn's management and the Knights. Things are tracking along there.
“I think he showed tonight why he is worth the wait. I think his performance tonight showed how committed he is to this team. I thought he was by far the best player on the field."
Meanwhile Ponga has also called for patience while he makes a decision on whether or not to sign the two-year contract option with the Knights.
"I know what I'm feeling, but that is between me and my management," Ponga told reporters.
"I know you guys want to know what I am doing, and I respect you, but I hope you guys respect that I want to make this decision on my terms and announce it on my terms. So that's what I will do."