The Cronulla Sharks say they will adopt a cautious approach with Dale Finucane who will sit out Thursday’s clash against Manly with concussion.
The Sharks are priced at 9/20 to beat the Sea Eagles on Thursday night but there will be no Finucane in the side after he suffered a concussion in the loss to Melbourne Storm last week.
Cronulla coach Craig Fitzgibbon says there are no real concerns with Finucane who has pulled up well in the days after the head knock. However they will play it safe and only bring the 30-year-old back in once he is ready.
After the Manly game the Sharks will face Brisbane, the Warriors and the Raiders but no date has been pencilled in for his return.
"We'll look into that (possible extended rest) and see how he's going," Fitzgibbon told reporters, "They're all treated differently. There's a knock-on effect and how they pull up post-event (to consider).
"He was fine and there were no lingering side effects or anything like that. We'll follow the protocols, but we won't rush anything, that's for sure."
Finucane has impressed since arriving at the Sharks from Melbourne and has played a huge role in their strong start to the new season.
"I don't think it was any surprise at the impact Dale has had on our club," Fitzgibbon added. "The leadership side of things is obvious, but the way he plays is more important.
"Cam (McInnes) will play No. 13 and Cam can contribute to our team in the same fashion Dale can. He does the stuff off the ball that a lot of people don't notice.”